CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday 27 April 2007

The Most Important Meal Of The Day


Mornings at Tim Horton's just got even better. That's because in addition to hot, fresh coffee, donuts, muffins, and bagels, Tim Horton's now has a hot breakfast sandwich. So if you're looking for another delicious way to start your day, try our hot breakfast sandwich, with a cup of our great tasting coffee. It'll make your morning.

From: www.timhortons.com

The CANADIAN version of Tim's Bacon, Egg & Cheese breakfast sandwich is 400 calories, sporting 24 total grams of fat, 17 g saturated and 0.5 g trans fat. Additionally, Cholesterol 165 mg, Sodium 740 mg, Carbs 31 g, Dietary Fibre 1 g, Sugar 3 g, Protein 16 g.

The AMERICAN version of the same Tim's Breakfast Sandwich has 410 calories, 220 which are from fat (I can hear Richard Simmons having a coronary - yes over 50% of the calories in this tasty treat are from fat!) for a score of 25 g of total fat (Saturated 17 g, and Trans fat 0). Additionally, Cholesterol 185 mg, Sodium 760 mg, Carbs 31 g, Dietary Fibre 1 g, Sugar 3 g, Protein 16 g.

NOTE: Nutritional values found at www.timhortons.com

So what happened to this sandwich when it went south and crossed the boarder?? It got 10 more calories and an additional gram of fat - yet it lost half a gram of trans fat! Plus, its cholesterol went up 20 mg, and sodium up 20 mg. I mean, are the eggs, biscuits, bacon and cheese in Ontario that much different than the ones across the line in New York state? I doubt it, eh Robin?! (Oh, by the way if ya want one of these things between 11am and noon on a weekend, you're gonna hafta go international!) LOL Probably something to do with the differences in the "official" diet (I.E. Canada's Food Guide) and food labelling regulations in each country. Other than that, I dare not try to explain it.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this sandwich!! And like a lot of things I love to eat, I knew it wasn't the best food choice I could make. And like most of that food, until I looked up the nutritional information, I didn't know how bad it actually was. So will I stop eating them? Probably not. Maybe just not nearly as often as I want to! Like him or not, I'll hear Richard's crazy little voice in my head saying dramatically, “HALF THE CALORIES ARE FROM FAT!”

0 comments: