CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday 25 April 2007

Texas - Day 2 - Friday, April 13

Yes Friday the 13th. I don't believe in all that superstition crap however I do sometimes find it amusing to watch those who do. One that is not so amusing though is I have a co-worker who is afraid to go out of her house on Friday the 13th. Seriously afraid. I feel bad for her - I can't imagine living in that kind of fear. I pray you can overcome that fear L, and it will no longer have such a hold on you.

Anyway, back to

Friday morning we were off to the track around 8am or so. Of course, there was the need for breakfast… And where else would a team of Waffle Hunters eat but at… that’s right!
And how much mayhem can 6 people wreak on one Waffle House? I guarantee you there are race fans who will remember that Friday morning breakfast well, especially the waitresses!


We proceeded to the track and picked up our tickets and passes. Then we made our way down to the garage area. It is always neat coming to a track you've never been to before and coming up to the infield out of the tunnel. The dryers were on the track as Nascar was fighting the weather to get some practice in.


Down in the garage area, we saw a few racing personalities. I spied Dr. Dick Berggren and got my picture with him. It was a pretty cool moment for me since I’ve been a fan of Dr. Dick since I began watching racing in the early '90's.

We hung out by the Nascar Hauler. The boss, Ray Evernham, was there chatting with the whomsoevers, and Susan called him over. He obliged, taking pictures and signing autographs before heading back to work. Susan mentioned something about a faster goat but I didn't catch it all...

Susan and Merri got their pictures with Robert Yates (how about them hugs, ladies)!



Mel & Speed's John Roberts

Later I got my picture with Speed’s John Roberts and Bob Dillner (Baaaawb!) That’s one I wanted for a long time – don’t ask – but I can tell you Suzi he’s much taller than I thought! My eyes don’t even come up to the Speed logo on his shirt, and he’s leaning over! LOL

We checked out the stacks of Goodyear tires, and found those waiting for the 19 team. Thanks to Wayne (they call me Junior) the Tire Guy, we were able to hold the appropriate Tire Prayer Ceremonies and take photos. LOL

The weather was windy and rainy all day. Before qualifying, we decided to head to the RV Campground. Eventually, we found our destination - the RV & campsite of Mr. & Mrs. Phil Oakla21fan & their entourage. We were greeted like old friends, and treated with wonderful hospitality. And Mr. Kitty & Boomber & Sooner were inside the RV too! We visited and watched as the Three Wide folks sorted out a couple of their differences.


We had planned to meet other SFC’ers at Trackside, but it soon became apparent both Cup Qualifying and Trackside would be scrapped due to weather. The decision to head back to the hotel was made just before the tornado sirens started wailing. Robin and I hung out inside the RV with the cats and the knitting while everyone else stood outside under the RV awning and watched the tv for weather warnings. Phil tried his best to re-assure everyone everything was going to be ok. I wondered just who he was trying to reassure the most. LOL I wasn't even a little scared, I knew the storm would go around us!! We only experienced about 5 minutes of fairly heavy rain and some gusting winds. The storm hit hardest in Haltom City and Bedford, about 10 or so miles from the racetrack killing one man in a lumber yard. The winds and baseball sized hail damaged trees, homes, businesses, and knocked out power to thousands of electrical customers.
Though we have had some quite damaging tornadoes here in Alberta, I have never been where there are tornado sirens. Even the huge TMS Sign warned "Severe Weather Imminent" and to "Take Shelter Immediately". And we just thought all the crazy weather was due to the Doofus Skwad getting together again & Three Wide members finally meeting!! It was an interesting experience to be sure.

Once it was clear the storm had gone around us, we got a ride back to the Belt Sander and headed back to town. Thanks Jenell for the ride, it was greatly appreciated!! As we arrived at the Cantina again for dinner, we were treated to a huge double rainbow, a reminder of God's promises. We went in to chow down on more great food. Wow those burritos were good eh, Robin?! I'd go back to Texas just for the TexMex! After dinner it was back to the hotel to crash as Saturday was Busch Series race day - and more fun to come!!

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the
everlasting covenant
between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."
~Genesis 9:16 NIV~

0 comments: